Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 2020 03:37:35 -0800
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: in -current is svn still canonical?

--9sJD2Nqq7wb1cq7Y

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 10:32:38PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> However, when you make the switch to git (either due to the flag day and
> tracking -current, or jumping from svn on a stable branch), there's no to=
ol
> to convert the subversion checked out tree to a git tree. The needed
> information needed to create the git tree isn't easily available from the
> subversion checkout, so you'll need to do a git clone. If bandwidth is a
> problem, you can do a shallow clone that omits all the history and just
> grabs the branch of interest. Git is a bit more link efficient than
> subversion, which is helpful. Git also has ways to help you share one loc=
al
> repo across checked out versions, which can also help if you have to track
> multiple branches.

Folks in that position might want to consider making the switch (for a
given repo -- src; ports; doc) in two stages over a period of time: the
first, to get an initial copy, then (the first of a series of)
incremental updates.  The duration of the first need not be especially
critical.  Of course, this presumes adequate local storage space.

(I am currently testing my approach, using cgit-beta.freebsd.org for
each of the three repos; the approach I am using is described in
http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/repo-sync.html, in case that's
of use.  Please note that I am actually using both svn & git, relying on
svn for now, as it is the Source of Truth.)

Peace,
david
--=20
David H. Wolfskill                              david@catwhisker.org
Trump's continuing malfeasance is costing lives -- and 72M voted for this??=
!?

--9sJD2Nqq7wb1cq7Y

--9sJD2Nqq7wb1cq7Y--