Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 19:29:46 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        luigi@FreeBSD.ORG, remy@boostworks.com, csg@waterspout.com, pavel@alum.mit.edu, nsayer@sftw.com, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal for ethernet, bridging, netgraph

Archie Cobbs wrote:

> Archie Cobbs writes:
> > OK, here's a patch ready for review & test.. this patch does one
> > thing, which is move the calls to BPF and BRIDGE'ing out of each
> > Ethernet driver and into ether_input().
>
> Thanks for the input! The patch has been updated..
>
>   ftp://ftp.whistle.com/pub/archie/misc/net.cleanup.patch.2
>
> Again, the only purpose of this patch is to move the BPF and
> BRIDGE taps out of the individual ethernet drivers and up into
> ether_input().
>
> Changes to the patch include:
>
>   - If the 'eh' parameter to ether_input() is NULL, then don't
>     do any of the link-layer stuff. This allows the existing
>     optimization in the if_ed.c driver to work the same.
>
>   - Smaller change to the optimization in if_ed.c: simply NULL
>     out 'eh' before calling ether_input()
>
>   - Changed bridge_in() and bridge_dst_lookup() prototypes to
>     take a struct ether_header * instead of an mbuf
>
> -Archie

I liked the original patch, and most of this is of course
the same.
I am not sure I like this as the if_ed driver is now still calling
the bridging code directly, which means that changes to the
if_ethersubr.c cod eneed to be duplicated into that driver
(if the writer knows to do this).

Also, not having the 'eh' available is going to make it kinda hard to
work out what the ether_type is, is it not?

I cannot see how you avoid getting a "using uninitialised variable"
warning.

I feel uncomfortable about it anyway.

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer