Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 09:35:37 -0600
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley585.res.iastate.edu>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Signal 11's.. (and SCB problems)

>On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Chris Csanady wrote:
>
>> While building a world, I recently noticed that I was getting random
>> signal 11's.  I was under the impression that this was fixed earlier,
>> is this correct?
>>
>> I suppose this is probably related to the SCB problems, but I can't
>> say.  Is anyone else seeing similar problems?
>>
>> Regardless, SMP is still miserable here.  I seem to have similar SCB
>> hangs (that I mentioned earlier) running UP as well, although they
>> are fairly rare.
>
>	UP == UniProcessor?

Yep.

>	If so, would SCB explain why, with an adaptec 2940UW controller
>and SCB enabled, I'm seeing what *feel* like SCSI bus hangs?  Where I can
>telnet to the machine, get the beginnings of the 'login', but no login
>prompt?  Machine is still pingable and everything?

Yes, this sounds about right.  If you wait a really really long time, you
may actually get a login.  At least that has been my experience..

>	My configure has the following lines:
>
>controller      ahc0
>options AHC_SCBPAGING_ENABLE
>options AHC_TAGENABLE
>options AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO

I have actually tried removing the AHC_SCBPAGING_ENABLE and AHC_TAGENABLE
lines, although that does not seem to help under SMP.  I have not tried
that without SMP though.

>	And the system is running STABLE...

Hmm..  This is not really what I wanted to hear. :(  I was under the
impression that this was a current breakage.  A while back, even SMP
was actually stable on my machine.  I am currently steping back my
machine till late last year to see if it's a hardware issue.  If not,
I may try to incrementally find where the exact breakage occurred.

>	IF the SCB should be removed, what about the other two?  Any
>similar problems known with those?

I think it is fairly safe to leave the AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO option in.

Chris Csanady