Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:14:22 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Marc W <mwlist@lanfear.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsupit horked my ports?

Marc W wrote:

>     So, I installed 4.1 on my machine, and then decided to upgrade to
> 4.2.  Following some instructions I read on this list, I went to
> /usr/ports/net/cvsupit and ran "make install".
>
>     it then downloaded all the new sources for 4.2, and a make
> buildworld successfully upgraded the system.
>
>     However, now my /usr/ports directory is completely hosed.  I cd
> into any directory, and get an error about my port using an old layout

Everyone seems to point to
http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/faq.html and tell you
to read #12 and #13. What has happened is that the structure of the
port system is gone. You should have been hitting that before. If you
look at your old structure you had a number of directories under the
head of each port. Now, you only have two, files, and work. If you
haven't installed anything or if you have done a "make clean", you
only have files/. If you have the others, the makefile gets upset at
your "old layout". You have to get rid of the extra files. You can see
what they are and do a wildcard rm or rm your ports leaving distfiles
alone. It depends on how fast your line is and how comfortable you are
at upgrading.

>     if I go to cvsupit, and try to run that again to upgrade
> everything, it won't run.
>
>     Is there something I can do to get my system sane again?
>
>     Did I do something wrong in the first place by just running cvsupit
> and choosing RELENG_4 as the new system release?

You talk about buildworld. Did you also build[install]kernel,
installworld, and run mergemaster. When some of the stuff doesn't run,
it sounds like you didn't. The upgrade example in /usr/src/UPDATING is
pretty much the cookbook for continue success in upgrading in the
FreeBSD 4.x world. The best part of going to RELENG_4 is that some of
the stuff that people used to slough off and ignore can be built for
you by mergemaster.

Kent

>     Any thoughts appreciated.
>
>     Thanks.