Date:      Wed, 26 May 2004 21:54:43 -0400
From:      David Magda <dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to interpret crash?

On May 26, 2004, at 17:34, Robert Watson wrote:
[...]
> This is a NULL pointer dereference in some piece of code.  The
> instruction
> pointer is 0xc0230fee, which if you have a kernel with debugging
> symbols,
> you can convert into a source file and line number (see the handbook
> for
[...]

Currently debugging kernels are not installed by default. Would it be
possible to add a flag in make.conf to allow a kernel.debug to be
installed along side the regular kernel? This way people can set things
up once and not having to worry about digging around for a kernel with
symbols if a panic should occur.

I know there's there's an installkernel.debug target under /usr/src,
but I'm unclear as to what it does. Does it install both the regular
and debugging kernels, or just the debugging one?

Just a suggestion.