Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2012 14:07:21 -0700
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
Cc:        Ron@FreeBSD.ORG, Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, McDowell <rcm@fuzzwad.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [IMPORT] bsdconfig(8)

On Jul 14, 2012, at 1:52 PM, Bruce Cran wrote:

> On 14/07/2012 21:17, Devin Teske wrote:
>> The implication is that bsdconfig and bsdinstall will forever live side-=
by-side once linked together. That includes having bsdconfig live on the in=
stallation media so that bsdinstall can utilize it during the installation =
to (among other things) set the root password.
>=20
> Doesn't that mean that bsdconfig would be invoked as "bsdconfig password"=
 which would bypass the welcome screen and so by the time the user does see=
 it the root password (and timezone) will have been set?
>=20

No.

In 8.x, when you're performing the guided install, will prompt you to set t=
he root password among many other things. At the very end, it prompts you a=
s to whether you'd like to visit the configuration menu one more time.

In 9.x and higher, bsdinstall (taking the place of sysinstall) in a similar=
 manner asks you to set the root password among many other things, but does=
 not ask you if you'd like to visit the configuration menu one more time (b=
ecause there isn't one).

So think of it this way=85 bsdinstall has these functionalities but no menu=
 to invoke them.

By removing these functionalities from bsdinstall and instead using bsdconf=
ig for these functionalities, the scenario now becomes=85

bsdinstall asks to set the root password (by either executing "bsdconfig pa=
ssword" -- in which a transition is only noticeable because the --backtitle=
 changes from "FreeBSD Installer" to "bsdconfig" -- or bsdinstall could ins=
tead include /usr/libexec/bsdconfig/040.password/include/password.subr and =
call the f_dialog_input_password() function where it can control --backtitl=
e to make the usage even more seemless; making bsdconfig's functionality lo=
ok like bsdinstall's). After asking to set the root password, bsdinstall ca=
n now (like sysinstall) ask the user if they'd like to visit the configurat=
ion menu one last time to make any additional changes (and bsdconfig -- no =
arguments -- would provide that menu).
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.