Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 00:00:06 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Jeong Seong Won <swjeong@woman.kitel.co.kr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network connection often stops. Why ?

>In my company. About twenty of 686 FreeBSD 2.2.1 Machine is connected
> via FastEthernet.(Intel EtherExpress)
> Hub is SMC tigerstack.(not a switching)
> Problem occurs in the same way when I used SMC 9332BDT.
> Network options         MAXMEM=262144
> Concurrent User is aboue 230 per machine.
>
> Problem is that suddenly telnet session stop.
>                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> When this happens, all key stokes is not effective, and at last
> conection is closed.
>
> vnode, file table, mbuf, somaxconn is sufficient.
>
> kernel configuration is

>options         MAXMEM=262144
>maxusers        250
>options         NMBCLUSTERS=8192
>options         CHILD_MAX=3500
>options         "FD_SETSIZE=2048"

   I just replied to your message in the NetBSD list as well. I think the
problem is that you are running out of mbuf clusters (even though you have
the setting really high already). Can you monitor that with "netstat -m"
and make sure that the second figure in the ratio of mbuf clusters in use
is never more than 6000?

-DG

David Greenman