Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:29:53 +0000
From:      Jonathan Laventhol <jonathan.laventhol@imagination.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Know what would be cool?

Hi Picofriends --

Good news for Mujtaba ...

>         In a shameless pitch after being too scared by the PicoBSD
> Development Kit, I wanted to suggest (not necessarily request ;) that it
> would be really cool if the Router version of PicoBSD also had a DHCP
> server.  I mean, it would be way cool :-)

We am working on exactly this.  We are building very small FreeBSD
machines
which will have DHCP server and a miniature DNS server (which I'll
probably
write).  The machines will have a flash rom 'disk-on-chip' and are based
on PC/104 architecture.  This will go with a router for our remote sites
which come in via auto-dial ISDN.  That way we can boot laptops and so
on
at the remote site without making phone calls or if the ISDN link is
down for any reason.  (Many of our remote sites move around and
international
phone calls for an IP address seems a little expensive.)  The mini DNS
will resolve the local network, including local printer and so on.

I'll post my results here.  ETA one month.

All best,
Jonathan.
--
Jonathan Laventhol