Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2006 23:35:34 -0800
From:      Chris <cdtelting-ml@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How can I disable the lookback device?

First of all the motivation of this is my tftp problem with the address
0.0.0.0.   Trying to tftp from the same box doesn't reproduce the
problem, whatever is happening gets cleaned up in the loopback device.
So I want to disable lo0 and route my local IP address over the local
net and hopefully the router will deliver the packets back to me.  So
how can I disable the loopback device manually?  I'd prefer to take it
down manually when I'm testing rather than doing something in rc.conf
and be able to bring it back up.

ipconfig lo0 down

but the route still existed according to:

netstat -r

so I did..

route delete 192.168.1.1

but then I tried to create a new route...

route add 192.168.1.1 -interface em0

but according to..

netstat -r

it instead rebound to lo0...