Date:      Thu, 23 May 2002 19:34:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Smith <msmith@beta.tricity.wsu.edu>
To:        fozekizer@attbi.com (Charles Pelletier)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: weird net activity with 3c509 TPO

> I have a fresh install of 4.2R on a p166 with a 3com 3c509-TPO. The card was
> installed w/o problem as ep0. I have since been trying to attach the box to
> my existing network. The card picked up on the IP I assigned it, but, it has
> not been able to communicate smoothly with the outside world. The ping
> results are horrendously slow, ranging from 10990.569 ms to 101001.304 ms
> and then some.
>
> Is this a problem specific to the card itself to the point that I need to
> replace the card entirely or is there a solution to this problem w/o having
> to replace the card.
> thanks,

Maybe...

If you don't have them already, you need the 3com driver disks.
On them is a DOS utility called 3c5x9cfg (this may have changed
since the last time I saw it).  Run that utility and do the following
to the card.

1.  Turn of PNP
2.  change the IO port to 0x300
3.  change the int to 10

That should do it.  The primary thing is to disable PNP.

Mark