Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 08:24:24 -0600
From:      Scott Wilson <scott@medicaltech.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Problem with Iomega ZIP drive and FreeBSD

I recently purchased FreeBSD 2.2.6 from CDRom.com.  The installation
program locks up running sysinstall.  I have traced it down to a problem
with sysinstall and my ZIP drive.  The drive is an Iomega ZIP drive
attached as the second device on my secondary IDE controller.

If I unplug the ZIP drive, sysinstall will run fine but if the ZIP drive
is attached, sysinstall appears to lock up during the "probing devices"
step.  Since I dual boot this machine into Windows NT (and I need the
ZIP drive for my NT development work), permanently disconnecting the ZIP
drive is not an option.  I have tried making a custom kernal with the
zip device removed, but this did not help either.  Is there a way to
make this drive work with FreeBSD?  Or at least some way to keep
sysinstall from locking up?

Thanks, Scott