Date:      Fri, 2 Dec 2022 14:12:10 +0000
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        Olivier Certner <olivier.freebsd@free.fr>, questions@freebsd.org, iio7@tutanota.com
Subject:   Re: What is this sm-mta?

On 02/12/2022 09:27, Olivier Certner wrote:
>> According to the documentation "NONE" is deprecated.
>
> Yes... but no.
>
> There was a recent discussion here:
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D36950
>
> mostly obsoleted by these commits:
> d88828148d893e3d7c747f9331187ec6e44f26bd
> 0b1adc42a15caea0cffbc962ca6f9e3e7b576834
>
> So the deprecation has been removed (although this has not been MFCed, so the
> documentation in current stable branches still marks it as deprecated).

Deprecation in FreeBSD is an interesting thing. ntpdate has been
deprecated for ages (10 years? 20 years?). man ntpdate says it will be
deleted and talks about ntpd -q, man ntpd says ntpdate will be replaced
by a shell script. I've had ntpdate_enable="TRUE" in my rc.conf forever
and run chronyd rather than ntpd.

The way the world is now we ought to have a roughtime implementation to
replace ntpdate. I'd write or import one but don't have the time or the
crypto knowledge to do it right.

--
We build our computer systems the way we build our cities; over time,
without a plan, on top of ruins.