Date:      Tue, 9 Dec 1997 02:03:41 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        perhaps@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, dyson@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VM system info

> wander far from the ultimate.  Any form of documentation that is
> in-line in the code is much more likely to be kept up-to-date, and it
> _is_ fairly cheap.
>
> <GENERAL RANT>
> Any attempt at making things easier for the newcomers at a slight,
> indirect expense to the people 'in the know' seems to be shouted down
> immedately.  Leanness of the kernel and the source tree seems to have
> a small but vocal minority that shout down any documentation that
> might actually be kept up to date.  (Ref my attempt at finding some
> tolerable way to provide inline documentation for kernel file use last
> easter).
> </GENERAL>

I'm firmly in the "if you commit it, document it" camp.

HOWEVER...

Inline documentation is just as bad, or worse, than non-inline
documentation.

I disagree with the premise that it "is much more likely to be kept
up-to-date".

Further, such documentation tends to obfuscate otherwise readable code
with all sorts of non-code pieces, making it less likely the code will
be maintained, either.

I've worked places where inline documentation was supposed to have
been maintained "to the benefit of all", and have seen only grief
from it.

In FreeBSD, where the effort is all volunteer, you can't even threaten
to fire someone for not playing by the rules in order to get them to
(grudgingly, at the end of the project) document the code that should
have been documented and the documentation up-to-date since day one
of the project.

Certainly, there's room for improvement in code commenting, and there
is definitely room for architectural "white papers" describing what the
code is intended to implement, but writing whitepapers (or man pages)
in block comments preceeding functions, etc., is just not the place
for whitepapers or man pages.

Inlining documentation is evil.  Non-documenting is evil.  And two
wrongs don't make a right.

IMO, of course...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org