Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 95 22:14:43
From:      Jason Tanner <jt@wind.demon.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Installation problems.

Hello!

I recently bought the FreeBSD CDROM from Walnut Creek. Version
2.0. (about a week ago in fact) and I am having a few problems
with it and was wondering if you could offer any suggestions.

I followed the installation instructions (I think).

I used the provided dos utility to repartition my hard disk
such that my DOS one was 401MB and the FreeBSD one would be
115MB.

I created the boot floppy and cpio floppy. Set the disk
geometry using the FDISK utility on the boot floppy to
 1048 cyl 16 head 63 sect (= 516 MB) and edited the
partition information as recommended in the instructions.
I wrote out the boot record and the O/S boot selector
stuff.

I then used the DiskLabel utility to edit the slices
and assign mount points.

I then proceeded. Doing AltF2 revelaed no errors.
When I booted I was presented with the F1 (DOS),
F2 (FreeBSD) menu. F1 works fine butF2 simply access
the hard disk and then returns to the menu.

Rebooting with the boot floppy does usually take
me back to the installation utility but after
a variable number of attempts (when trying to
investigate the problem) eventually caused an
init failure then a panic message.

My system configuration is:

Gateway 2000 P5-90 (90Mhz Pentium)
16 MB Ram
516MB IDE Hard Disk.
AMIBIOS
Matrox Video Card
17" Monitor.

The pertinent BIOS setup info is:
                             Cyln Head Sect Size
Drive C: Type AUTO-CONFIG    1048 16   63   516MB
Drive C: Timeout 5 seconds

IDE DMA Transfer Mode    : Disabled
IDE Multiple Sector mode : Disabled
IDE LBA Translations     : Enable

DOS FDISK Info is:

1 fixed disk
    Partition Status Type    VolumeLabel Mbytes System Usage
C:      1       A    PRIDOS  FAT-DISK    401    FAT16  78%
        2            Non-DOS             115           22%

Jason.
Jason Tanner              | Internet  : jt@wind.demon.co.uk
Shortwave Systems Limited | Compuserve: 100012.423@compuserve.com