Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 12:10:37 -0700
From:      Timothy Moore <moore@WOLFE.net>
To:        paul@freebsd.org
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, mark@grondar.za, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DES, crypt and eBones

   From: Paul Richards <paul@lambda>
   Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 17:36:18 +0100 (BST)
   Sender: current-owner@freebsd.org

   > I would rather just stay away from the Kerberos code...

   This is just passing the buck though (and is relevant for the crypt code
   in general and not just kerberos).

   Either you (i.e. those in the US) import work that is based on a site
   outside the US or we (i.e outside the US) grab the work that you do and
   very clearly break the export laws.

   Basing the work at a site outside the US and importing it seems the
   better of the two. I agree with Poul, we should move the non-exportable code
   to a "safe" site and call it secure.freebsd.org. It can become an official
   distribution site that everyone can import from.

I think you're missing something.  It's just as serious a violation of
the ITAR rules to import crypto stuff into the US as export it.  It's
a munition, it doesn't really matter what direction it gets shipped.

Tim