Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 18:42:46 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Michael Elbel <Michael.Elbel@consol.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

On Fri, Nov 26, 1999 at 09:55:58AM +0100, Michael Elbel wrote:
> In lists.freebsd.questions you write:
>
> >BTW Greg, you mentioned that you use emacs for composing e-mail with
> >mutt, which is what I'm doing now. Is there a way to make it (mutt)
> >open another buffer in an emacs window that's already running rather
> >than starting another instance of emacs?
>
> You sure it was Greg? I've mentioned this before:

Yes, earlier in this thread (and in the past as well).

> Set your editor to gnuclient and it will do what you want
> (export EDITOR=gnuclient).

OK, I've done that (well, ``setenv EDITOR gnuclient'' as I use csh(1)).

> You can also do this on the commandline, of course
>
> $ gnuclient /etc/passwd

gnuclient is a program? I don't appear to have it on my system.

> You need to load gnuserv in your .emacs file. This is what I have in mine:
>
> (load-library "gnuserv")
> (gnuserv-start nil)

Done that, but all I get from emacs is:

Error in init file: File error: "Cannot open load file", "gnuserv"

Is gnu{serv,client} an add-on and, if so, where can it be d/l from?

> I once even found a mutt.el that highlites nicely and provides macros
> to modify the header fields of a mail.

Where can it be found?

Thanks.

--
PERL has been described as "the duct tape of the Internet"
and "the Unix Swiss Army chainsaw"