Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 22:32:59 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Robert Schien <robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'make world' on P6 system takes 3 h

On Tue, Sep 09, 1997 at 10:06:25PM -0700, David Greenman wrote:
> >Here are the essential options from  /etc/make.conf:
> >

> >CFLAGS= -O2 -m486 -pipe
>
>    Make that "-O" and kill the -m486. The -O2 nearly doubles the compile time
> and provides almost no measurable improvement in most cases.

Just curious. Did the -m486 ever really do anything?? I've always used it
for 'make world' and kernel compiles in my 486's, but now that I'm using a
PPro I suppose it's useless, no?

Is gcc ever going to support -m686, etc? I think there is a pentium optimized
version (pgcc?) -- has anyone ever tried doing a make world or kernel compile
with it to see if it' actually better?

TIA,
-Mark

> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
"The newest book, The Dilbert Future, took a broader view, describing how
idiots will threaten every aspect of business, technology and society in
the future."	--Scott Adams