Date:      Sun, 6 May 2012 07:59:55 -0400
From:      Michael Richards <hackish@gmail.com>
To:        Artem Belevich <art@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS Kernel Panics with 32 and 64 bit versions of 8.3 and 9.0

>> Suspecting a hardware issue all the hardware was replaced.
>
> Bad memory could indeed do that.

Indeed the memory was the bad hardware.

>> I had some difficulty trying to figure out how to mount my old ZFS
>> partition but eventually did so.
>> zpool import -f -R /altroot 10433152746165646153 olddata
>> panics the kernel. Similar panic as seen in all the other kernel versions.
>

>> Gives a bit more info about things I've tried. Whatever it is seems to
>> affect a wide variety of kernels.
>
> Kernel is just a messenger here. The root cause is that while ZFS does
> go an extra mile or two in order to ensure data consistency, there's
> only so much it can do if RAM is bad. Once that kind of problem
> happened, it may leave the pool in a state that ZFS will not be able
> to deal with out of the box.

I believe that the kernel should be able to handle every type of
non-hardware corruption without a panic. At present I'm in the process
of running
dd if=/dev/ad16s1g > zfsimage.dat
with hopes I can send that file home and play with it locally. I'm not
a kernel hacker but I'll see what I can do. Based on the backtrace I
suspect it is happening during scrub:
trap_fatal
trap_pfault
calltrap
zio_vdev_io_start
zio_execute
dsl_scan_scrub_cb

> First of all -- make a copy of your pool, if it's feasible.
> Probability of screwing it up even more is rather high.

I assume running the dd on that slice will do this. I think I read
somewhere that you can specify a file instead of a block device when

I'll see what I can do so the problem itself can be fixed.

-Michael