Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 18:19:16 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Joachim Isaksson <Joachim.Isaksson@ibfs.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IrDA? PnP?

Joachim Isaksson wrote:

> I started, just for fun, to look at implementing some IrDA functionality
> under FreeBSD and ended up with a few question marks regarding
> implementation (they're all sort of interconnected) Some are probably
> answered before, but the mailing list search on FreeBSD.org doesn't seem to
> be working today :-(
>
> 1) Is anyone already working on IrDA support?

I've been toying with IrLAN support a little bit.  Linux 2.2 has some limited
support for this, so I'll be looking at what they've done for pointers on
strategy and documentation.

> If so, I'd be happy to assist time permitting. I have a lot of catching up
> to do on device driver writing under FreeBSD though, so can't guarantee any
> instant results. (anyone got a good book to recommend btw?) I've only
> written a couple of very simple device drivers for the initial VAX port of
> NetBSD, and that was quite a while ago. :)

I'm not exactly a device driver maven either, but I've done a lot of device
and network level work on other systems.  My biggest problem is time, but
that is becoming less of a problem now, for the next few months.

> 2) If noone has already started it, how should IrDA be implemented?
> I started off thinking of IrDA as a bus, but then I saw something about
> Linux implementing it as a network protocol(?) Still it would to me make
> sense to implement it as a bus (a'la USB?) with PnP devices, but I'd rather
> have input on this before doing something terribly silly :)

Actually, it's a whole bunch of semi-related protocols.  Support for Ir
printers would be nice, but I'm mostly interested in using it as a network
link for laptops initially.  Sure, 4mbps isn't screaming fast, but it's
entirely acceptable for email and web surfing, where your ultimate desitnation
is a shared T1 (or less) to the internet.

> 3) I've been trying to understand the PnP functionality of FreeBSD, but so
> far I've failed miserably. Is there any good documentation on the subject
> besides the source code?
>
> 4) As I (so far) understand it, the PnP functionality is a special "hack"
> for the ISA bus right now and could not easily be extended to integrate PnP
> devices on the IrDA bus? Is this assumption correct? If so, is anyone
> working on extending PnP device management so that, for example, the kernel
> (or more likely a process communicating with the kernel) could dynamically
> load driver kernel objects if the device was plugged in? I can see that this
> would be very useful for PCMCIA use too, as well as USB, IrDA and ISA/PCI
> hotplug solutions.

And CardBus, while we're cleaning up the world.

> 5) Is there any reason (besides the probably rather major work it would
> mean) not to move most if not all FreeBSD drivers to dynamically loadable
> modules? It would sure be easier for the "common man" to add device drivers,
> and it would make things like PnP much easier to implement in a dynamic way.
>
> Well, that sort of sums up my questions for now, hope you're all having a
> good weekend!

Quite good so far.  One birthday party and now off to buy a car.  Not much
time for hacking, though.  ;^)