Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 1997 02:52:52 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: another set of changes.

Hi,

Bruce Evans pointed out that the UP kernel uses disable_intr()/enable_intr()
to do the equivalant of "critical regions".  Now that several CPUs can be
in the SMP kernel simultaniously these functions no longer have the desired
effect.  This last round of changes adds a simplelock to the
disable_intr()/enable_intr() functions.  Unfortunately the kernel sometimes
calls disable_intr()/enable_intr() recursively, so the possibility of deadlock
exists.  I have already cleaned up clock.c, creating a simplelock to protect
its critical regions, and thus eliminating one large area of deadlock.

We're at the point where deadlocks are going to become common.  Bear with me
and help as you can.  When you hit one please record all the facts you can,
and report them to smp@freebsd.org.  Hopefully we will get thru this period
before too long...

--
Steve Passe	| powered by