Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 05:54:16 -0400
From:      "Allen Smith" <easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG, njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk, dima@best.net, abc@ralph.ml.org, tqbf@secnet.com
Subject:   Re: bsd securelevel patch question

On Jul 2,  1:55am, David Greenman (possibly) wrote:
>    Well, someone will have to convince me that delegating access on a port
> by port basis is necessary in the first place. I'd personally be happy with
> a simple privilege that allows binding to ports <1024.

Daemon spoofing. Let's say I've set up a web server that binds to port
I want to reduce the risks from this, so I (under your scheme) give
the server a privilege that enables it to bind (I'm assuming binding
for reception of incoming stuff only, given rsh et al) to any TCP port
below 1024. Cracker notices that I've made a goof in writing a cgi
script (or the author of the webserver has goofed), and proceeds to
crack it such that he can run any arbitrary program under that uid,
with that privilege (this will be the case if it's run as a uid
instead of setuid). Now, run a program via cron on a very frequent
basis that tries binding to the smtp, ssh, or other significant port
not run through inetd. This enables mail interception for smtp,
password interception for ssh, etcetera. With the exception of a
syslog'd error message from the smtp program, this won't be spotted in
that case if the cracker then uses sendmail's -bs flag, or the
equivalent for other mail programs. Ssh is admittedly going to get
spotted pretty soon, but one interception of the root password (or an
interception of a password a person uses across systems) is going to
be enough to create problems.

There are probably other vulnerabilities that I haven't thought of;
going off of the least privilege principle seems the best.

	-Allen

--
Allen Smith				easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu