Date:      Wed, 1 May 1996 16:55:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Named and Reverse DNS lookups

> Thanks to everyone who helped me set this up a couple months back.
> Hopefully this last question is easy.
>
> SRI-MT's assigned address is 206.127.76.96/27, which consists of hosts
> 97-126 (96 and 127 are reserverd).
>
> Here's the entry in /etc/namedb/named.boot.
> primary   mt.sri.com                   newmt
>
> Pretty basic.
>
> However, how do I setup my Reverse DNS stuff?  I tried this, but it
> didn't work.
>
> primary   96.76.127.206.in-addr.arpa   newmt.rev
>
> And, I can't use :
> primary   76.127.206.in-addr.arpa   newmt.rev
>
> Since there are lots of machines outside of our little 30 host slice
> that we need to resolve as well.
>
> The manpage wasn't obvious, and the ORA TCP/IP book didn't help either.

Hi Nate,

The in-addr.arpa zone is resolvable only on octet boundaries.  You are
"S.O.L.".  :-/

There is some precedent for a standard by creative use of CNAME's (I
believe) in the primary server's zone file, but most revisions of BIND do
not support this.  I suggest you cruise through the domains newsgroup, and
if you don't see an answer, post a question.  I believe I saw an article by
someone in the past (Cricket Liu?) about this.

(goes through a zillion news articles)..Ahhhhhhh!  Here is some relevant
 junk:

> From jcaron@pressimage.net Tue Jun 20 10:40:17 CDT 1995
> Article: 4045 of comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains
> From: jcaron@pressimage.net (Jacques Caron)
> Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains
> Subject: Re: in-addr.arpa for a subnet of a class c?
> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 1995 17:40:14 +0200
>
> In article <AC07E1E09668BD820@brad.his.com>, brad@his.com (Brad Knowles)
> wrote:
>
> >In article <1995Jun15.171926.12397@dfwlug.decus.org>,
> >sewell@dfwlug.decus.org wrote:
> >
> >> I currently have a subnet of a class c network, a mere 16 addresses.
> The full
> >> class c net is allocated to my internet provider.  I would rather
> maintain
> >> control of my domains myself rather than depend on them, since they are
> >> confused enough just getting the routing working right.
> >
> >I believe _DNS and BIND_ by Albitz and Liu discusses the issue of
> >subnetting Class C networks, and the resulting in-addr.arpa delegations.  I
> >hate to be the one to deliver the bad news to you, but you'll discover that
> >you need a separate in-addr.arpa delegation for each IP address.
> >
> >Otherwise, read Albitz and Liu.
>
> The recommended way to do that (there must be an internet draft on the
> subject), is to use CNAMEs, in a way similar to the following.
>
> Consider you have net 1.2.3.0, and subnetted it in 2 x 64.
>
> This is zone file for 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa:
>
> @           IN SOA   etc.
> 65          IN CNAME one.65
> 66          IN CNAME one.66
> 67          IN CNAME one.67
> etc.
> 126         IN CNAME one.126
>
> 129         IN CNAME two.129
> 130         IN CNAME two.130
> etc.
> 191         IN CNAME two.191
>
> one         IN NS    ns1.dom.
>             IN NS    ns2.dom.
>
> two         IN NS    ns3.dom.
>             IN NS    ns4.dom.
>
> Then, ns1 and ns2 should be authoritative for one.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa, and
> ns3 and ns4 for two.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa.
>
> I may be left out a few details, but that's the spirit of the thing.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Jacques.
>
> --- Jacques Caron - Pressimage Telematique
>     Mail:   5/7 rue Raspail - 93108 Montreuil Cedex - France
>     E-mail: jcaron@pressimage.net
>     Tel:    +33 (1) 49 88 63 56
>     Fax:    +33 (1) 49 88 63 64

Sorry for the formatting.  Anyways this does NOT work on the BIND
distributed with FreeBSD 2.0.5R or 2.1R.  You will probably need the latest
BIND code.

Hope this helps,

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968