Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 07:36:05 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        Tomas Reilly <thomas.reilly@nuigalway.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: data recovery?

> I have lost /usr which contains all my important files etc

If the files are important, they are backed up somewhere and you
restore them from the backups after (at least) running newfs on
the affected file systems.

> Now all i am left with is /usr  and a lost+found directory which
> contains thousands of files prefixed with a # eg #691843 (last file)
> I haven't even got the basic tools to look at the files, like the
> command more for example!

Assuming you have an undamaged root file system (which may not
be the case), you can use ls to tell you something about the
files and ed to look at them if they're text files and mv to
rename them to something that helps a bit.

However, if there are thousands of files, this will take forever
and the general task is probably too hard for somebody who is
not an expert, given the probable overall state of corruption on
the disk.

This is why the first answer I gave is the right answer.  If you
have data that is important, you must make backups.  No ifs, no
buts.  If you can't do this, then don't create stuff that you
couldn't bear to lose.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>