Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 97 17:09:08 -0500
From:      Mark Salyzyn <salyzyn_mark@dpt.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID on FreeBSD

In article <3.0.32.19971211155601.0092e580@gw1.tesys.com>, you wrote:
>>> Why would 9 drives be uncomfartable?
>>  Well, if you are going to making one arrray of 9 drives, write
>>performance will bad.  If you are going to making 3 arrays of 3
>>drives each, you will end up with a lot of overhead.
>>  RAID5 arrays of 5 drives is kinda of nice sweet spot.  If you go much
>>bigger, just use RAID0 over multiple RAID5.
>Please note that dual RAID support (dpt based) is not available under
>FreeBSD(there are few other OS's which do support it), as per my
>information.. Can someone verify that..

Software RAID is not available for the current driver by Simon.

However, we have supplied Simon sources to a RAID-0 subsystem that he
may add to the driver in the future.

There is nothing preventing an OS RAID-0 from being set up, the
only disadvantages are that it is not integrated into the DPT management
solutions and you can not boot off of a dual level RAID device utilizing
the second level within an OS driver.

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn