Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:06:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: arp moved?

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Jason C. Wells wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> >
> >> This was in the dmesg log.
> >>
> >> arp: 128.208.37.115 moved from 00:40:05:42:b7:18 to 00:00:c5:47:46:de on
> >> ed0
> >>
> >> The IP in this error message has nothing to do with me. Can someone tell
> >> me what this means?
> >>
> >> I run natd. My internet host is 128.208.37.26. My LAN is on 192.168.1.*.
> >> The LAN interface is 100. My one and only box on the LAN is 1.
> >
> >Basically, it means that the address 128.208.37.115 moved from one
> >ethernet card to another one.  Are you on a cable modem, by chance? This
> >happens alot on cable modem networks.  Any network that uses DHCP over
> >ethernet, actually.
>
> I am not on a cable modem. My IP is static. Looking closer, I see that the
> mac addresses in the log don't belong to me. Is this a log message that
> tells me that something _out there_ changed? It seems that this really
> doesn't affect me.

Actually, it doesn't matter if your IP is static, what matters is if they
are. And even if they are, if someone replaced the ethernet card in
their machine, or had two machines configured with the same address,
you'd see the same message.

Also, I should have been more explicit, I saw that it was something on the
outer network, so wasn't yours, but didn't mention it.

How are you connected to the outside world?

Basically, unless the IP address is something that you talk to (email
server, default gateway, etc), then you don't need to worry about it.
This just gets logged because if someone tries to spoof one of the other
machines, you'll have record of it.