Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 1997 23:46:29 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        committers@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, ports-jp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 8 days until 2.2.5...  Administrative notices.

Andreas Klemm scribbled this message on Oct 15:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 1997 at 02:08:57AM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> >  * On Mon, Oct 13, 1997 at 03:56:57AM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> >  * I know this is probably too late for 2.2.5, but I thought it might be
> >  * worth mentioning anyway.  What do people think to putting the size of
> >  * the tarball somewhere in the skeleton for each port?  This would be
> >  * very helpful for people with poor Internet connectivity.  Quite a few
> >  * times I've thought about installing a port, but wasn't sure how long
> >  * a download I was letting myself in for.  Currently, the only way this
> >  * can be done is by looking on the master site.
> >
> > Hmm.  That is an interesting idea.
>
> Another thing is, that it would be fine, if fetch would show
> more infos about the download progress. Percent of downloaded
> data, performance (K/sec), estimated time remaining.
>
> When downloading large files it would be extremely useful.

I thought it already did this??
Script started on Tue Oct 14 23:40:00 1997
$ uname -a
FreeBSD boron.nike.efn.org 3.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #12: Tue Oct 14 21:31:58 PDT 1997     jmg@hydrogen.nike.efn.org:/a/home/johng/FreeBSD-checkout/cam/src/sys/compile/boron  i386
$ fetch ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/ls-lR.gz
Receiving ls-lR.gz (8548027 bytes)
Receiving ls-lR.gz (8548027 bytes):  0%
Receiving ls-lR.gz (8548027 bytes):  0%
Receiving ls-lR.gz (8548027 bytes):  0%
Receiving ls-lR.gz (8548027 bytes):  0%
Receiving ls-lR.gz (8548027 bytes):  0%
Receiving ls-lR.gz (8548027 bytes):  0%
Receiving ls-lR.gz (8548027 bytes):  1%
Receiving ls-lR.gz (8548027 bytes):  1%
Receiving ls-lR.gz (8548027 bytes):  1%
Receiving ls-lR.gz (8548027 bytes):  1%^C
fetch: parsing URI: interrupted by signal: int

$ ^D
Script done on Tue Oct 14 23:41:27 1997

sorry for the long line... :)

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD