Date:      Fri, 28 May 2004 07:37:35 -0500
From:      Andy Wettstein <ajw@physics.umn.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Help <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: openldap dependencies

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 03:31:07PM +0100, Daniel Bye wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 09:17:09AM -0500, Andy Wettstein wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm having a problem with the dependencies for openldap.  I build
> > openldap21 with sasl support so I get openldap21-sasl-client.  Then I
> > build pam_ldap and it builds fine, but it depends on openldap21-client.
> > So my dependencies are broken and I need to do a pkg_db -F.  Is there
> > a way to tell packages that depend on openldap21-client to depend on
> > openldap21-sasl-client instead?
>
> Yes!  The portupgrade config file, /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf is your
> friend in this case.
>
> The ALT_PKGDEP section is what you want - set something like this (NOT
> TESTED!):
>
>   ALT_PKGDEP = {
>     'net/openldap21-client' => 'net/openldap21-sasl-client',
>   }
>
> This simply tells portupgrade and friends that for any package that depends
> on openldap21-client, make it now depend instead on openldap21-sasl-client.

That's almost what I want to have happen, but this seems only
portupgrade will use that (and I couldn't actually get the ALT_PKGDEP to
work).  But I probably need something that changes the @pkgdep, because
I want to be able to install the packages I create on other machines, too.
It doesn't really matter for that package because I won't be able to use
SASL anyway, since I'm going to authenticate Tru64 against this server
and it has to have direct access to the userPassword attribute, which
seems like a mostly braindead way to do it.

Thanks for your response.
Andy