Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:56:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Ryan Sommers" <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
To:        "Rostislav Krasny" <rosti_bsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: default resolver(5) configuration and behavior of  functions like gethostbyname(3)

Rostislav Krasny said:
>> Please explain why developers of FreeBSD had chose 4 instead of 2? Maybe
>> they should change it to 2, as this default value is defined on most of
>> other systems, including NetBSD?

Don't know why 4 was chosen instead of 2, haven't had a chance to look at
the commit logs. We might have ported over the code from OpenBSD and just
didn't change their value.

>> why is doubling the number of DNS queries? Is it gethostbyname(3)
>> function or the resolver itself?

Do you have 2 name servers in /etc/resolv.conf? Or do you have a hostname
in /etc/resolv.conf that resolves to multiple IPs?

--
Ryan Sommers
ryans@gamersimpact.com