Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 21:34:37 +0200
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Ying-Chieh Liao <ijliao@csie.nctu.edu.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/43420: [New port]: (X)Medcon 0.8.0 (X11)

Hi Ying-Chieh Liao!

First of all, thank you for taking a look at my pr!

I earlier asked a question to the list, of how to make a port
where the none-X11 application always will be installed, while
the X11-application hence is optional. Got a few answers, but
not a direct one, which I would have hoped for. One was that
I preferably should make two ports, a X11 and a none-X11, so
I did follow this path and came up with these two pr's.

As it seems you're a project member, maybe you could decide
if the following would be ok or not for a port, following the
FreeBSD standard as closely as possible. If ok I can make it
one port, with the -DWITHOUT_X11, else it would be really hard.
That would require a lot in depth analyzing the Makefiles of
the application. If installing the X11-version everything on
the other hand always will go smoothly. So... Is this below
ok for a port?

Installing the none-X11 version
-------------------------------

* medcon is installed, but not it's companion xmedcon, in
  /usr/local/bin.
* The man-page xmedcon.1 (for the X11-application) is in-
  stalled, but there is no xmedcon (see above).
* In /usr/local/etc/ the xmedconrc, xmedconrc.linux, and
  xmedcon.png is installed, but never used.

There are two solutions for this, as I see it, if it's
not ok, but I don't know if they can/should be done of
some reason:

1. Is it possible, by defines as -DWITHOUT_X11, to select
   which patch-files that should be applied when patching?

2. Is it ok to remove unused files in the post-install?
   Then those not used, if defined -DWITHOUT_X11, can be
   removed after the real install has been done.

Looking forward for an answer, and once more: Thank you!

Best regards,
Paul