Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 20:00:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: remind me again, why is MAXPHYS only 128k ?

it has always been my opinion that the kernel should only
handle physical pages for these sorts of things and any device
drive should convert to virtual if it needs it.
'buffers' should be stored as a list of physical pages, and that list
could be used directly by IO routines wishing to queue IO on
the buffer.
similarly Physio should produce a list of physical pages instead
of a kvm pointer.  Physio can certainly mallooc such a physical
list. (one needs to bear in mind aio in this discussion.)