Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:19:21 -0600
From:      John Nielsen <john@jnielsen.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   firebird, java, artsd, sound

Hey folks-

I just installed mozilla firebird 0.7 on my FreeBSD 5.1 machine.  I have
also installed the native java 1.4.1 port (using linux java 1.4.2 to
bootstrap the build).  After digging around to find the firebird plugins
directory, I made a symlink to the java plugin there.  That all works fine.
about:plugins tells me it's installed, and applets seem to run fine.

The problem I'm seeing is that when a java applet uses sound, and another
application tries to use sound, the applet crashes, soon followed by the
browser.  Once the browser exits, the sound in the other application will
play.  I am using KDE as my desktop, so I assume that this has something to
do with artsd.  The other application in question that makes sounds in
kmess, which I use as an MSN Messenger clone.

I don't know if this is a configuration issue or a bug, and if it's a bug I
don't know what program the bug is in.  So I'm hoping someone can shed some
light on the situation--ideally one that leads to a solution.  Any takers?

Please CC me on replies.

Thanks,

John Nielsen
john@jnielsen.net