Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 00:57:47 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Make World on RELENG_2_2 failing for last 2 weeks..

Hi there.. It seems I just can't get RELENG_2_2 to build...

I last did a make world about the 17th of May - and everything went just
fine (although it took  me a little while to patch the system to use
login.conf and rc.conf... :-). The only problem I had was that
the "keyrate=fast" and "linux_enable=YES" or "linux=YES" options from
rc.conf weren't being honoured.. No problem - modload linux solved the
problem. Oh yeah, PPP (userland) was still busted (sends load to one,
and it nolonger redials :-( )

The problem is that since May 20th, I have CVSupped the latest sources
on the RELENG_2_2 tag about 6 separate times (the last time being about
2 minutes ago) and each and everytime a 'make world' fails. For a while
there were problems with tcl, and most recently I get errors from
/usr/include/unistd.h complaining about files not found in
/usr/src/usr.bin/make/lst.lib/blah...

I guess the point here is that I'm confused :-)  I was under the impression
that the RELENG_2_2 branch was "Stable". It is called "2.2-STABLE". I'm
a little concerned about the problems, since I follow this branch to get
the mainstream/major fixes pulled into my production machine... I'm not
looking for the up-to-the-second wonderment/mess of -CURRENT! I used to
always CVsup under the "-STABLE" release -- is "RELENG_2_2" the -STABLE
tree? Or is -STABLE still stuck back on the 2.1 tree? In other words, should
I interpret the RELENG_2_2 tag as meaning:

1. This is the stuff being readied for the 2.2.5 release, and we call it
   2.2-STABLE cause we couldn't think of a better name and it really isn't
   "stable" - so don't rely on it begin a stable FreeBSD (build wise).
   It's a mix of major innovations and bug fixes.
   Expected use: A non-production environment where someone wants to
   "safely" incorporate improvents but still wants to be able to build
   reliably (inother words, a friendlier, non agressive -CURRENT :-)

2. This is the FreeBSD-STABLE branch. It is derived from FreeBSD 2.2.
   It should nearly always build, and the focus is on fixing bugs - not
   innovation. Eventually, this branch will be released as FreeBSD 2.2.5.
   We're not sure why it's not just called -STABLE...
   Expected use: Production Environment.

3.  Some combination of the above two options

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out with the branch
terminolgy and what I can expect from each branch! Right now, I'm under
the impression that in reality RELENG_2_2 is option #1 - but I *thought*
from reading the man pages and web pages that it would be more like
option #2... I don't neccessarily mind either one; I'd just like to know
what I'm dealing with :-)

TIA,
-Mark
 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
	University degrees are a bit like adultery: you may not want to
	get involved with that sort of thing, but you don't want to be
	thought incapable.	-Sir Peter Imbert