Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 04:09:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        alk@pobox.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: something is leaking

> >  swap_pager: suggest more swap space: 124 MB
> >
> > Another one.  First rpc.statd grows to 126MB, now I come home from
> > dinner and find that netscape 4.06 is at 89MB.  Something is leaking,
> > and it is something deep:  rpc.statd is elf, and netscape 4.06 is
> > a.out, so they have no shared libs in common.
>
> It is 'normal' that netscape grow to that size.  I see it routinely.
> Something also touch all of Netscapes memory in some cases (which is
> really hatefull, as it makes my box swap-trash).
>
> I'm not sure this is a bug or not; John Dyson was looking at it to
> determine what happened just as he quit FreeBSD (and wasn't sure
> whether it was a FreeBSD bug, either, though he said he suspected it
> might be.)

The shared memory regions are not being "owned" and reference
counted correctly.

This is either a bug in the X Server, or in netscape.

If you use "localhost:0" instead of ":0" as the display, you
will disable the use of the MIT SHM extension, and your leak
will go away.

Hopefully, this will help someone who cares about this (i.e., someone
other than myself, since I think X is a tool, not an ends) to fix
the problem.

Meanwhile, it is a useful workaround for your problem.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.