Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2018 21:12:04 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <freebsd.ed.lists@sumeritec.com>
To:        Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
Cc:        x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What are good graphic cards for X, low-end and high-end

Hi,

On Wed, 04 Jul 2018 13:23:18 +0300
Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 5:14 AM, Erich Dollansky
> <freebsd.ed.lists@sumeritec.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am currently planning a new computer. I have check the wiki but I
> > also would like to get real-life experience here. I have not decided
> > yet of I should get a cheap card just for software development and
> > watching videos or a good card also usable for processing videos.
> >
> > What cards do you use for these purposes?
>
> Video cards aren't that involved in... processing videos :)
> That's why they're often called graphics cards these days.

it was different those days.

> So you need a powerful GPU if you want to:
>
> - play 3D games
> - use 3D CAD and modeling applications
> - run compute tasks like offline 3D rendering (path tracing), mining
> buttcoins, deep learning, folding@home... and, yes, rendering some
> effects in some video editors, but the key word is "some"

These are all things not planned for this machine. As the machine
should be Ryzen based, it still needs some kind of graphics card.

> Now, GPUs also have onboard hardware video codecs, and that can help
> with watching videos, if you get it to work (have to use a dedicated
> player right now, since web browsers don't support VAAPI yet, except
> for some unofficial forks; also YouTube prefers VP9 and only the
> newest (ish) GPUs have a VP9 codec, but you can ask YouTube for
> H.264...) This is only useful for laptops and other mobile devices.
> On a desktop, you don't have to care, the beefy CPU will easily
> decode anything.
>
> Oh, also these codecs can *en*code videos, but the quality per
> bitrate is always worse in hardware codecs than software, so you only
> really want this for recording gameplay (like ReLive/ShadowPlay).
>
> So, finally, recommendations -- well, one big recommendation: AMD
> Polaris.
> If you like (relatively high end) gaming, you might want the top tier
> one (Radeon RX 480/580) or the one below (470/570).
> Otherwise, RX 460/560.
>
> FreeBSD support is excellent with drm-next-kmod :)

Our standard suppliers lists mainly RX570/580 cards from different
manufacturers. All around the same price region. So, I will get what it
in stock the day I will finally hot the shop.

Thanks!

Erich