Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2012 11:07:30 -0400
From:      Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How do I determine support for $xx?

Hi All,

If this question is better suited for a different list please let me
know.  Simply stated, my question is 'What is the best source for
identifying supported hardware?'.  Having said that, allow me to pose
an example...

I've attempted to identify if various ethernet controllers are
supported by FreeBSD and the drivers.  I used the hardware notes and
manpages for the respective ethernet drivers.  The information between
the two sometimes seems inconsistent and/or inaccurate.  For example,
the BCM5719 and BCM5720 are unsupported in FreeBSD at this time.  The
hardware notes at freebsd.org do not specify these controllers are
supported.  Inspection of the bge(4) manpage implies that the
controllers are supported as seen in the description section where it
states:

"The bge driver provides support for various NICs based on the
Broadcom BCM570x, 571x, 572x, 575x, 576x, 578x, 5776x and 5778x
Gigabit Ethernet controller chips and the 590x and 5779x Fast Ethernet
controller chips."

I browsed the source and found many references to the BCM5719 and
BCM5720.  However, I am unfamiliar enough with driver programming in C
to identify if a controller is fully supported.

Also, I attempted to identify whether the Intel i350 is supported.
It's not listed in the hardware notes or the igb(4) manpage so I
suspect it is not supported.  When I view the igb source, the i350 is
referenced numerous times.  Are these references simply code in
preparation for support of the i350?

--
Take care
Rick Miller