Date:      Thu, 9 May 1996 17:55:45 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Going to stable

Hello alll.

Before I start this, please don't say "read the man page" - I have done
so, am struggling big time and need some help.

I posted a similar message to questions, so please bear with me if you
have read this message before.

Scenario : I have been using 2.1 R for quite a while now, and want
to go stable. Everything is hunky dory until now. I am a dial-up user, so
ftp'ing the tree, sources, etc is not a viable option.

I placed an order for the 2.2 snapshot cd-rom. Now I know this isn't the
ideal way of doing it, but hey ?

Ok. Now I know I have to use something called cvs and something called ctm.
Unfoortunately I do not know how to use them. I copied the CVS directory
from the CD-ROM onto my hdd into /home/CVS.

I then set CVSROOT=/home/CVS and then went to /usr
I then typed cvs -co -rRELENG_2_1_0 src like someone suggest to me.
It then said something to the effect of /home/ncvs binaries not the
same, aborting.

Am I doing this the right way ? I know newbie's are not supposed to ask
questions like this in these forums and you're probably thinking of
saying, bugger off, stickj to release if you cannot work out how to go to
stable. Well, I lose nothing (except embarressing myself in a HUUUGE
forum) by asking.

I just need to know once. That's all. Could someone out there please
give me a step-by-step guide OR point me to somewhere where I can find
out how to do this (please don't say man pages, lists, handbook, faq -
I've tried them all!).

---
Khetan Gajjar
Visit at http://www.iafrica.com/~khetan/