Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:40:07 -0800
From:      Chris Doherty <chris-freebsd@randomcamel.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modifying /etc/rc?

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 02:49:07PM +0700, Roger Merritt said:
> Now, it seems to me that modifying the vncserver script is not elegant. I
> don't think it's a good idea for me to make *any* modifications to
> something that somebody else wrote, even when the code is as clear and easy
> to understand as in this case. Besides, what if I upgrade and forget to
> check if that file has changed? I could change the PATH variable to add
> /usr/X11R6/bin in my rc.d script. This sounds like a better idea to me.

/etc/rc is also something that somebody else wrote.

> How about making a change to /etc/rc? Is this a Bad Idea (tm)? I'm sure
> there's a reason /usr/X11R6/bin isn't in the path set in that script. So
> far I haven't made an /etc/rc.local and I don't want to. The obvious
> argument against modifying /etc/rc is that it will add another merging
> operation to mergemaster whenever I upgrade. Is this kind of modification
> suitable for putting in /etc/rc.conf?

unless I'm wrong, /etc/rc.local exists specifically so you don't have to
modify /etc/rc. /etc/rc refers to rc.local as "traditional (but rather
obsolete)", but nowhere in my FreeBSD travels over the past four years
have I found any suggestion of what else you're supposed to use.

I may not be understanding the problem you're trying to solve.

HTH,
Chris

Chris Doherty
chris [at] randomcamel.net

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat
all our provisions now, so we won't have so much to carry."
               -- A. A. Milne