Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 01:52:06 +0200
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@I23.EU.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, briann@wrsec.wrsec.fr
Subject:   Re: Unnumbered lines.

Doug White (dwhite) écrit/writes:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Brian Nash wrote:
>
> > "Unnumbered Lines" as described in:
> >
> > rfc 1812 "Requirements for IP Version 4 Routers", section 2.2.7
>
> As far as I can tell, no; ppp and slip links require IPs for both ends.
> Nothing saying that they can't be fake IPs though :)

	In fact, there are three possibilities:

	1) Use the "real" address of the host -- saves addresses
		 -- on the ppp link
	2) use "unnumbered links", if supported
	3) use RFC1918, or anything you feel like, on the link
		(like 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2)

	Problem with 3) it is makes for nasty-looking, or even strange
	traceroutes.  The advantage for internal use is the possibility
	to use the DNS to label links, like:

	10.0.0.1	my.side.of.the.link.to.my.provider
	10.0.0.2	his.side

	... looks neat :-)

--
-[ Philippe Regnauld / regnauld@eu.org / +55.4N +11.3E @ Sol3 / +45 33241690 ]-