Date:      Mon, 11 May 1998 10:56:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Stephen McKay <mckay@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Kriston J. Rehberg" <kriston@ibm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, mckay@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Andreessen: Linux use growing

On Tuesday, 5th May 1998, "Kriston J. Rehberg" wrote:

>They know next to nothing about FreeBSD's merits and good
>quality; however, hearing the name "FreeBSD" they immediatly get the
>impression that their production web site is running on "cheapo-OS,"
>"not-good-enough-to-pay-for-OS" or, worst of all, "OS-without-support."
>Not that any of these things are necessarily true, but first impressions
>are important.

I'm obviously no good at this advocacy stuff because I would use this
operating system even if it were called Dog Shit on a Stick.  Management
still wouldn't be able to find its arse with both hands, and Dog Shit
on a Stick would still run our primary name server.

I am personally unconvinced by arguments that describe how shallow are
our fellows, despite this being essentially accurate.

FreeBSD is an excellent name for an excellent system.  Promote it, yes,
but rename it "TrueGrit OS/Pro" to entice the fools and we only reinforce
their fallacious view that a catchy name means a good product.

Stephen.

Disclaimer:  My employer doesn't believe any of this.

PS  The true danger is not in software, whether Linux or that junk from
Microsoft.  We are thriving despite Windows, and Linux really is close
enough to be one of the family.  Microsoft and Intel want to replace
open computer hardware with the closed I2O system.  Almost everybody
is in the i2osig.  Can they win?  Check out http://www.i2osig.org and
http://www.kenandted.com/i2o and http://open-i2o.abies.com to see how
marketing can turn any good idea sour.  The "rage" sites are a bit out
of date, but I've seen nothing on the main site that indicates they
are going to turn out to be good guys after all.