Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 21:33:33 -0700
From:      "Aaron Burke" <aburke@nullplusone.com>
To:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Ron Freidel" <rfreidel@3rivers.net>
Subject:   RE: Compiling troubles

I cant claim to be an expert about FreeBSD, but why are you trying to
build world? Are you getting new sources from CVS? Or can you explain
why you are using "make world"?

You are just rebuilding the kernel right? I have never used make world
for this. I only rebuild world when I update the system. For future
reference, if you are only rebuilding a kernel use the following.

   cd /sys/i386/conf
   cp GENERIC mykernel-name
Just for a test, dont edit the file. Just rebuild the GENERIC.
   config mykernel-name
   cd ../../compile/mykernel-name
   make depend && make
If this is to be a kernel that you run on this machine, then run
   make install
And when your ready to reboot, do so.