Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2012 11:12:32 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions about GNOME update

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Jeremy Messenger
<mezz.freebsd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Olivier Duchateau
> <duchateau.olivier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I saw GNOME will be updated after 9.1 release. But I wonder if GNOME2
>> will be always in ports tree, or replaced by Mate (or there will be
>> only GNOME3).
>
> The GNOME 2 will have to be deleted at some point though and replace
> to MATE (depend on how they go well). As for the applications that
> depend on GNOME 2 might have to be deleted too if they can't be
> compiled without GNOME 2 support.
>
>> Do you have an idea of which version of GLib ?
>
> http://www.marcuscom.com:8080/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ports/devel/glib20/

I have installed a VM wiht Mint 1.4 and the MATE environment. It is
progressing quite nicely and rather rapidly. They seem to have quite a
few people working on it. I'm very encouraged. It is quite usable now
and promises to get even better.

I have also played a bit with Mint using the Cinnamon interface. It is
GTK3 based, but restores much of the look and feel of Gnome2. Like
Gnome2, it is very configurable, in fact, more configurable than
Gnome2. In many ways, I really like it, but have not used it as much
as MATE as it is quite different.

For those not familiar with it, Mint is a fork of Ubuntu due to
dissatisfaction with Unity and other things that were showing up in
Ubuntu. IMHO, it is a huge improvement on Ubuntu, but maintains most
of it's ease of use character while allowing the user to adjust it to
his or her preferences and work techniques.

I'm looking forward to running MATE on FreeBSD before too long.

Thanks for all of you work on this, Mezz!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com