Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:46:34 +0000
From:      Marc Rogers <marcr@shady.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DoS attack - advice needed

Hiya

First thing you need to do is work out what they are throwing at you.

You need to find out if the icmp was inward bound or outward. Outward bound
(which to be honest is much more likely) is often a symptom of something
that involves a large number of source addresses. A DDOS attack will generate
a huge amount of outward bound icmp, as will something that involves spoofed
source addresses.

Blocking icmp in cases such as these will only cure the symptom, not the
disease. In addition you score an own goal, as by blocking that kind of traffic
withing your own network, the attackers still get to saturate your line(s) and
you are less likely to see some of the "clues" that can help you identify the
perpetrator.

Take a snapshot of your network traffic (just tcpdump on some of the affected
machines will do) and either mail it to me or send it to this list, and I
and various others will look at it for you. Each diffrerent attack family
will require a different countermeasure.

By the comment you have made that this attack has caused FreeBSD machines to
hang, I would suggest you are looking at something along the lines of a
fragmented packet attack, (which if they were using an often changing spoofed
source address, would explain the large amounts of icmp).

Something I have noticed recently (and I will be making a separate post to this
list on this matter) is that although our beloved OS has been hardened against
attacks such as this, there are a number of well known software packages that
are affected dramatically by these attacks, and more often than not it is their
behaviour that causes up to date boxes to hang.

Hope this helps,

Marc Rogers
Head of Network Operations & Security
EDC Group