Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:46:00 +0100 (CET)
From:      Sven Hazejager <sven@chain.demon.nl>
To:        stable@freebsd.org, <mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Laptop freezes with network activity

Hi,

My Toshiba Satellite 310CDT (Pentium 200MHz) has been running 4.4-STABLE
of October 31st just fine. However, last Sunday I decided it was time for
an update, and now my laptop freezes whenever I try to send something over
the network. I use Stable sources of last December 9.
Details: Toshiba ToPic95 Cardbus/PCCard controller, 3Com Megahertz 589D
combo card (recognized as ep).
No error messages on bootup, pccardd detects my 3Com and starts up, again
without errors. However, when I try to do a "dhclient ep0", there's no
output, and FreeBSD hangs completely, i.e. I cannot even switch consoles.
dhclient does not seem to be the problem: I've manually configured the
address using ifconfig; that seems to work, however, as soon as I try to
ping another computer on the network, the system locks up. As far as I can
tell, not one packet is sent to the network.

Any suggestions? I'd like to get this thing on the road again :-).

Thanks,

Sven Hazejager

Emotions are alien to me.  I'm a scientist.
		-- Spock, "This Side of Paradise", stardate 3417.3