Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2002 02:26:18 -0700
From:      "Oh merciful god!" <floess@earthlink.net>
To:        <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Accessing my floppy drive

haha, yeah there was a floppy disk in there. I realize there is a reason you
had to ask that :-) but i did make sure of it. I'm pretty sure my BIOS
recognises my floppy because it tries to boot off of it first. I've also
tried using a different disk. No luck. At the advice of another reply to my
initial email, I tried using fd0a, that didn't work either (I don't have the
email in front of me so I might not have recreated their instructions
correctly, but I did do them right when I started FreeBSD.). After all this
failed I decided to go back and try this floppy disk thing again and FreeBSD
did let me cd to /fd0, so I decided to copy my /dmesg to it, and it worked.
I thought it was curious that I didn't hear any noises from my floppy drive,
so I restarted windows, to check to see if the floppy had the file on it,
and it didn't have it, even after I tried to use the line 'tr -d '\r' <
dmesg > text-file' as a variation of an instruction I saw on how to
translate files from a Un*x type to a .txt type. What's more, I went back
and restarted Freebsd, after I found that windows didn't find the file on
the disk, and decided to see if freeBSD would see the file w/o the floppy in
the drive, I typed cd /fd0, and it worked, then I typed ls and it showed the
two files on the directory, w/o the disk in the drive! I've kind of decided
that there is some thing about Un*x syntax I don't understand, and I would
like to get some of it figured out so that I can convert Un*x files to
windows recognizable files and windows recagnizable files to Un*x, and move
them back and forth. Please help me sort things out, if you can make sense
of this email. Thanx. -- Desmond