Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 1998 17:47:47 +0200
From:      Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan@Shevchenko.kiev.ua>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Das Devaraj <das@netcom.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD UNIX?

--------------E5EDDFB0F48825C602B44905

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 15, 1998 at 01:44:02PM -0800, Das Devaraj wrote:
> ? (This is _reluctantly_ sent to freeBSD-isp also, in case the
> ?  commercial folks - ISPs - see it in a different light).
>
> I've taken them off again.  Maybe they will, but I don't see how they
> can.
>
> ? Can I _legally_ claim that my box running FreeBSD is UNIX?
>
> No.
>
> ? Or should it phrased that the OS is a _UNIX clone_.
>
> No.  It's not a clone.  It's a UNIX derivative and contains much of
> the same source code that runs in UNIX System V.
>
> ? Note that this has nothing to do with the actual power of FreeBSD.
> ? What happened after the UNIX name was bought from AT?T by Novell (is
> ? it public domain now?)
>
> UNIX is currently a registered trade mark of The Open Group.  See
> http://www.rdg.opengroup.org/public/tech/unix/trademark.html for more
> details.
>
> ? Also is there a minimum set of functionality that needs to be
> ? supported before something is considered UNIX or even a UNIX clone?
> ? Have heard terms like UNIX 95, X/Open branding etc. tossed around.
>
> Correct.  There are such names, and they have some minimum (they must
> be *very* minimum) requirements, but I don't know what they are.  IMO,
> there are three reasons why FreeBSD hasn't applied for this kind of
> branding:
>
> 1.  It's all hype (see below)
> 2.  It costs a lot of money.
> 3.  There are probably some minor areas where FreeBSD would not
>     comply, and where the FreeBSD team considers non-compliance to be
>     superior.
>
> Those of you who have been around UNIX for a while will know that all
> through the 80's, 4.xBSD was the leading edge of UNIX development, and
> that *all* current UNIX implementations (which effectively means
> System V) contain large parts of almost unchanged BSD code.  With this
> background, which of these systems may *not* be called UNIX 95?
>
>  UNIX System V
>  4.4BSD
>  Microsoft NT

      NT ?        You mean OpenNT ?

--

    @=
     //RSSH                              mailto://Ruslan@Shevchenko.Kiev.UA

--------------E5EDDFB0F48825C602B44905

<HTML>
Greg Lehey wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>On Thu, Jan 15, 1998 at 01:44:02PM -0800, Das Devaraj
wrote:
<BR>? (This is _reluctantly_ sent to freeBSD-isp also, in case the
<BR>?&nbsp; commercial folks - ISPs - see it in a different light).

<P>I've taken them off again.&nbsp; Maybe they will, but I don't see how
they
<BR>can.

<P>? Can I _legally_ claim that my box running FreeBSD is UNIX?

<P>No.

<P>? Or should it phrased that the OS is a _UNIX clone_.

<P>No.&nbsp; It's not a clone.&nbsp; It's a UNIX derivative and contains
much of
<BR>the same source code that runs in UNIX System V.

<P>? Note that this has nothing to do with the actual power of FreeBSD.
<BR>? What happened after the UNIX name was bought from AT?T by Novell
(is
<BR>? it public domain now?)

<P>UNIX is currently a registered trade mark of The Open Group.&nbsp; See
<BR><A HREF="http://www.rdg.opengroup.org/public/tech/unix/trademark.html">http://www.rdg.opengroup.org/public/tech/unix/trademark.html</A>;
for more
<BR>details.

<P>? Also is there a minimum set of functionality that needs to be
<BR>? supported before something is considered UNIX or even a UNIX clone?
<BR>? Have heard terms like UNIX 95, X/Open branding etc. tossed around.

<P>Correct.&nbsp; There are such names, and they have some minimum (they
must
<BR>be *very* minimum) requirements, but I don't know what they are.&nbsp;
IMO,
<BR>there are three reasons why FreeBSD hasn't applied for this kind of
<BR>branding:

<P>1.&nbsp; It's all hype (see below)
<BR>2.&nbsp; It costs a lot of money.
<BR>3.&nbsp; There are probably some minor areas where FreeBSD would not
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; comply, and where the FreeBSD team considers non-compliance
to be
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; superior.

<P>Those of you who have been around UNIX for a while will know that all
<BR>through the 80's, 4.xBSD was the leading edge of UNIX development,
and
<BR>that *all* current UNIX implementations (which effectively means
<BR>System V) contain large parts of almost unchanged BSD code.&nbsp; With
this
<BR>background, which of these systems may *not* be called UNIX 95?

<P>&nbsp;UNIX System V
<BR>&nbsp;4.4BSD
<BR>&nbsp;Microsoft NT
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; NT ?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
You mean OpenNT ?
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;IBM OS/390 (formerly MVS)

<P>The answer is: 4.4BSD.&nbsp; The suits have disowned the very version
of
<BR>UNIX which made it what it is today.&nbsp; Since they also allowed
such
<BR>obviously non-UNIX systems as NT and OS/390 to be called UNIX, I don't
<BR>think any of us care too much.

<P>Greg</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;
<PRE>--&nbsp;

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; @=&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; //RSSH&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A HREF="mailto://Ruslan@Shevchenko.Kiev.UA">mailto://Ruslan@Shevchenko.Kiev.UA</A></PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------E5EDDFB0F48825C602B44905--