Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 21:08:15 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ingo Molnar <mingo@pc5829.hil.siemens.at>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@nyx.pr.mcs.net>, black@zen.cypher.net, chuckr@mat.net, FreeBSD-SMP@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP

On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Actually, linux has moved to a slightly finer grain system.  Now they
> > have seperate locks for the run queues, scheduler, and some other
> > things..

> This is not much of a symmetry win; it also isn't a scalable win if
> they don't place the locks in a hierarchical relationship.  Without
> that change, they are subject to deadly embrace deadlocks if they get
> any more complex in their locking structure.

what kind of deadlocks do you picture. We only have spinlocks in Linux and
we disallow scheduling with held spinlocks. [thus you can think of those
locks like atomic operations]. There isnt much to be done wrong there.
Anything that gets out of the big kernel lock is done via totally parallel
code and spinlocks after that.

[ and resource locking is just done the same way like on uniprocessor
  Linux, on a per-object basis ]

-- mingo