Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 13:52:55 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
To:        "Paul A. Howes" <pahowes@fair-ware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New Intel NICs...

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Paul A. Howes wrote:

> All-
>
> I know FreeBSD has great support for the Intel EtherExpress Pro 10 and 100B
> series cards.  I was just checking Intel's web site, and they seem to have
> phased out the 100B in favor of a 100S, which incorporates harware-based
> encryption, and a "new-and-improved" version of the chip, dubbed the
> "82550".  Are our drivers still compatible with the new card?  Also, can our
> drivers take advantage of the encryption?

We were supposed to do a hardware project based on this chip.
However, we didn't receive the docs in time, and it was dropped.
The bottom line is that part of the specification is under NDA or
something similar as far as I remember.
If this is the case, then adding support for it can be tricky.
..ehmm... perhaps I'm wrong (hopefully).

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]