Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 10:57:34 -0500
From:      "Alton, Matthew" <Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com>
To:        "'Keith Anderson'" <keith@apcs.com.au>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: serial ports

Well, the serial devices are not typically used for TCP traffic, but you should
look at ioctl(3), read(3), write(3), socket(3), bind(3),
listen(3), send(3), recv(3) for starters.  The tty devices are treated as files.
Remember, in UNIX everything is a file unless it isn't.
The ethernet cards, which cropped up after the 70s and which are not treated as
files, are accustomed to TCP traffic.  You might
want to have a look at these instead.