Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 16:07:06 -0500 ()
From:      Bradley Dunn <bradley@dunn.org>
To:        Greg Barniskis <gregb@scls.lib.wi.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: de ethernet driver stomps SMC 10/100

On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Greg Barniskis wrote:

> Same here. There is no indication anywhere in my card's packaging or
> documentation that the card has a "new" chipset. The card itself has "REV
> A" hot-stamped on it, while the main DEC chip on it says "21140-AC" and
> there's a sticker on the card that says "Made in USA [B]". The "21140-AC"
> seems fairly definitive (i.e. more than simply 21140). Can anyone offer
> comparison to another working or non-working card?

Yes, that is the same as our cards. Our cards do not work using any
version of the de driver that I've seen.

> The card/driver behavior "improved" in that the de0 driver does not
> disable the card as it did with 2.1.5-R. The Link and T/R lights on the
> card continue to blink festively. However, de0 now "enables" a
> non-existent BNC/AUI port (and no manner of "ifconfig de0 link" options
> would enable the actual UTP port).

Same here.

> I guess that doesn't prove anything except that 2.1.6-R doesn't like my
> hardware any more than 2.1.5-R does. Still, the difference in behavior is
> encouraging. Anyone try this card with 2.1.6.1 or 2.2 yet?

The cards don't work with any version of FreeBSD. Make it a part of your
daily routine to check:
http://freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/pci/if_de.c
Then you will know when/if support is added.

-BD