Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 1997 23:19:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Freebsd-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 2.1.6 -> 2.1.7 & No bin distribution

On Sun, 23 Mar 1997, Doug White wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Mar 1997, Barry Masterson wrote:
>
> > 	Couldn't extract the following distributions:
> > 	bin catpages
>
> That's the first time I've seen that from a CD install.  What method did
> you use to upgrade?  Which option(s) did you select?

'dd if=boot.flp of=/dev/rfd0 bs=36b' got the boot.flp image onto the
floppy. With the CD #1 disk already in the Plextor scsi cd drive, I
rebooted the system with the boot.flp disk.

The only options I selected, as I remember were setting the
editor to 'vi', and some level of debug messages to YES.

No special kernel configurations were used. I chose the first option
offered in the first screen message. Not ready for any CLI stuff.
>From there I went to 'update' or 'upgrade', whatever it was. Chose
the distributions, mounted the filesystems, selected the distribution
media source, chose the final "yes" to continue, then watched the
progress from F2.

The messages scrolled by fast, but it seemed that /usr was the
first filesystem to get worked on.

I could proberly try to reproduce the install again, this time
only selecting the bin distribution.

> > 2) Whats going on with the two different time stamps?
>
> Your timezone may be messed up.  Try running 'tzsetup'.

I did that,then rebooted.  Seems ok now. I think it may have had something
to do with the 700 permissions on /etc.

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com
  FreeBSD   2.1.7-R